M.Sc. Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University, anticipated 2012
B.Sc. Biochemistry & Biomedical Sciences, McMaster University, 2010
Department of Biochemistry and Biomedical Sciences
Health Science Centre, Room 4H31B
1280 Main Street West
Hamilton, Ontario, L8S 4K1
905.525.9140 ext.22757 | ext.28813
Pushpinder has always been fascinated with evidence based medicine due to its unique integration of biochemistry research, clinical science and patients care. Volunteer experience at various healthcare facilities and conducting academic research in the biomedical sciences program has instilled in him the desire to become a principle investigator (and a physician) in hopes to discover the underlying causes of many ailments and possibly find appropriate treatments in order to improve medical healthcare.
"If I could have a super-power, it would be...the power of inception. This way I can get everyone to see things or do things the way I want, e.g. elect me as the ruler of the world."
I am interested in developing a novel method to detect pathogens which will be sensitive, simple to use and cost effective. I am exploiting the power of 'systematic evolution of ligands by exponential enrichment' (SELEX) to generate DNA probes that will bind and detect the pathogen of interest. Furthermore, I am also interested in the use of nanoparticals, such as gold nanoparticles, to develop simple-to-use colourimetric biosensors. Processing RNA transcript is a predominant method by which bacterial cells regulate gene expression. Thus, I am interested in investigating the mechanism of RNases particularly from pathogens.
- Natural Sciences and Engineering Research Council of Canada (NSERC), 2011
- McMaster Prestige Scholarship (Ashbaugh Scholarship), 2010
- McMaster University Masters Entry Scholarship, 2010
- The University (Senate) Scholarship, 2009
- The Ernest Robert Mackenzie Kay Scholarship, 2008
- The Edwin Marwin Dalley Memorial Scholarship, 2007
- The McMaster Honor Award, Level 2, 2006-2009
- Queen Elizabeth II Aiming for the Top Scholarship, 2006-2009